It is often said that people learn from experience.
This is really not true…
If people could learn from experience, then no one would ever make the same mistake twice. The reality is that, it is not the experience itself, but the time you take to process the experience that gives you insights.
This can be seen by the example of many sales presenters as well. Many of them work in this pre-programmed format:
Present to prospect 1 – Fail
Present to prospect 2 – Fail
Present to prospect 3 and so on.
If they took just 10 minutes to analyze their calls, they would actually learn from their experience.
You analyze your sales pitch by recalling successful presentations
The typical tendency is for people to see what went wrong in the cases where they failed. They may end up finding too many reasons for failure.
There are however only a few predictable ways in which you can consistently achieve success in a sales presentation. So, it makes sense to learn whatever worked and learn from that experience.
How to analyze the successful sales presentations:
Answer these questions, keeping the successful sale in mind:
1. Analyze the product benefit you can showcase:
- How has your product made the life better for the customer?
- Was he able to minimize his errors? Was he able to save on his costs? Was he able to feel more confident about himself?
- The answers will tell you the key benefits to focus on – in your next presentation.
Related: Create a Sales Pitch in 2 minutes
2. Analyze objections encountered in the presentation:
- What were the objections raised by him, before he said ‘Yes’ to your offer?
- Did he compare your product with his existing option? Was he even aware of the impact of his problems?
- How did you overcome his objections?
The answers will equip you for your next presentation.
3. Analyze the source:
- How did you find him in the first place?
- Was he referred to you by your existing customer? Did you fix the appointment by cold calling? What was the database used to find the prospect?
- What was the script used to fix the appointment?
- This will help you find more prospects with higher chances of conversion.
This simple analysis doesn’t take long. But it will certainly help you to pitch more effectively in a sales presentation.
Return to Top of Sales Pitch Page